Wednesday 8 January 2014

Evaluation - Q2 How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

I used the same typography for the title on each of the products so it is easily recognizable to the audience and to help create a brand identity.




The double page spread TV listing follows similar techniques, such as Barthes Enigma Code which attracts the eye of the viewer. The double page spreading follows closely to the codes and conventions of a double page spread and would instantly interest any documentary fan.

The large image of the protagonist grabs the viewer's attention as well as the bold typography which helps the reader to understand the genre of the documentary.

There are similarities throughout the products such as the use of orange and black font for the title; all of which help the viewer to identify the documentary.

In all three of my products, there has been a focus on the one main protagonist. When marketing this to the target audience, this will emphasize her importance and the audience will begin to recognize her.

The same typography is used to establish a brand identity, by creating an image that is used throughout marketing. I would also use the same typography and imagery when marketing through social network platforms, press releases and other marketing devices. I have created a Twitter account for my documentary, to help the audience stay up to date with the documentary as well as the main characters marathon training, up until the day of the marathon, to encourage the audience to participate in various forms of fundraising.

I feel social networking is used to connect the audience to the documentary. Social network sites also allows the producer of these products, potentially access to a mass audience. I have also included a QR code which links to the Teenage Cancer Trust website.

I feel this is beneficial as it is encouraging the audience to find out more about this charity which is one of the main purposes of this documentary. This may also influence the audience to spread the link onto other social networking sites to further enhance and gain a mass audience. As my target audience is marathon runners and aspiring young runners, the majority of this demographic group will be social network users. I am using this to my greatest advantage to attract my audience.

The genre of my products is shown throughout the conventions, colour schemes and mis en scene. I would use Facebook and Twitter page for viral marketing campaigns. However, I feel to really connect with my target audience, I would market this product in schools, at sporting events and in sporting magazines. The typography used throughout this production is very simple yet effective and may attract the viewer's attention through it's bold appearance. I feel however, the audience is attracted through the image that encourages the audience to want to find out more.

Henry Jenkins theory states that individuals tap into and combine numerous different media sources and that convergence is a cultural process. I feel I have incorporated this theory as my target audience can tap into my documentary through the use of social media and networking sites, QR codes as well as following Georgina's journey on her Twitter page.

The combination of the three products is extremely effective as it is clear the film is about Georgina, hoping to finish the Brighton Marathon; she becomes the icon for the film. The ancillary products work well together, encouraging the audience and readers to share the documentary online, through social networking which overall creates a strong awareness for both the Teenage Cancer Trust and the documentary itself. The colour scheme of my products were used to gain the attention of the audience and have done this through the use of bright colours. I feel I have successfully created a sense of brand, by using similarities such as the font and the protagonist throughout my production. 

No comments:

Post a Comment